A week or so ago I shared my Recipe for Home Made Gelli Plates. .. but you know my mind just keeps turning. I wanted to know if there was a difference between the ones with sugar or no sugar (some folks on YouTube insisted that ones with sugar would not mold) and if there was really a difference between the homemade plates that were made with or without glycerine to preserve it.
So of course, I made some videos to compare EVERYTHING…. and now I’m sharing with you.
First, a video about making gelatin plates WITH or WITHOUT sugar…
Here are my takeaways:
- There is no difference in texture
- There is no difference in moistness
- There is no difference in print quality
- THEY BOTH WILL MOLD
I stored them for 1 week at room temperature in a sealed glass container. So… don’t waste your sugar on printing plates!
Next… do the “regular” homemade gelatin plates work any differently than the homemade gelli plates in which you add glycerine to preserve it?
And my takeaways on this:
- No difference in texture
- No difference in moisture
- No difference in print quality
- IT DIDN’T MOLD. (At least not yet.)
- The cost or availability of the glycerine is the only deciding factor. It was rather expensive at the pharmacy- $8 for a 6-oz bottle- but I’ve seen it online for much cheaper and folks tell me it’s inexpensive at Wal-Mart.
So the break-down here is you can spend $1.50 for a plate you can use for 2-3 days, or $5-8 for a plate that will last much longer.
The only thing left I have to do is compare my homemade glycerine gelli plate to the one I bought from Gelli Arts…. so stay tuned for that!
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017
- Stampin’ Blends from Stamin’ UP Review and Demo - November 21, 2017