For this round, I compared Gamsol (odorless mineral spirits), Turpenoid Natural (non-toxic version of turpentine) and Baby Oil (mineral oil.)
I also used a higher-quality pencil (Prismacolor) and a lower-cost one (Crayola) so that you could see the difference in pencil, if any.
Let’s take a look!
Gamsol is clear and water-like- but don’t let the lack of odor fool you. It releases toxic fumes (you just can’t smell them) and it is highly flammable. Not for use with children.
Turpenoid Natural is a turpentine substitute that is actually an oil paint thinner and brush cleaner. However, since it’s a natural product it’s certified non-toxic. It’s also non-flammable. You can see that it has an amber tint but that didn’t seem to alter the color of my images. It has a mild citric smell.
Baby Oil is…..baby oil! It’s actually a mineral oil with a light fragrance. It’s safe for folks and has no fumes, and the light scent is pleasant to most. This is certainly safe enough to use with the kiddos, as well.
I did make you a little video, as well.
Lastly, I went to the two extremes- the highest-quality pencil and the most expensive blending medium, verses Dollar Store pencils and baby oil, blended with a cotton swab!
I feel like this proves that beauty (and art) is subjective! While the Prismacolor pencils are more vibrant, I felt that they blended as well with baby oil OR Gamsol.
So whatever combo of materials you use, practice and have fun!
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018