The other day I reviewed the Spellbinders Platinum and as I was sharing it on Periscope, quite a few of the live viewers wanted to know the specific differences between machines. This led me to do another Periscope comparing the four manual diecutting machines that I have in my studio: the Spellbinders Platinum, the Big Kick from Sizzix, the Lifestyle Evolution, and the Fiskars Fuse.
I recorded the “Scope” and edited it into a tidy 20 minutes so that I could share each machine’s pros and cons, do a quick demo, and answer viewer questions. (By the way, if you’d like to participate, you can join Periscope and follow me OR watch the full replays on Katch.me.)
Alright- let’s get to it!
So… to recap:
Lifestyle Evolution: (Amazon Affiliate Link Price- $77 USD) I love the dial that eliminates all of the cutting “sandwiches” but the rubber mat-while durable- keeps you from seeing your work. Moderate cutting area.
Spellbinders Platinum: (Amazon Affiliate Link Price-$156USD ) Nice wide cutting area, sturdy metal interiors. Smooth rolling action. Accepts all dies and has an 8.5 inch plate area. Cons include some fiddliness with embossing folders, small cutting plates in relation to the platform size.
Sizzix Big Kick: (Amazon Affiliate Link Price- $80 USD). This is one of the original at-home machines for a reason- sturdy construction, stable, easy to crank. Cons include the wide footprint.
Fiskars Fuse: (Amazon Affiliate Link Price: $102 USD) While this machine has been discontinued, you can still find them online. This is an amazing price for what is essentially a rolling mill- a huge cutting area, will letterpress and emboss, compatible with other systems and is ideal for difficult materials like multiple layers of denim. Cons- it’s HUGE and HEAVY and not really portable.
Now, notice that I didn’t even touch digital machines- I guess I’ll do that next! I also didn’t mention manual machines that have motors…but if you’d like my take on the eBosser, I have a review of that here.
What machine do you use? I’d love to hear from you!
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017
- Stampin’ Blends from Stamin’ UP Review and Demo - November 21, 2017