There are so many watercolor products out there right now- gel crayons, gel sticks, watercolor crayons- it’s hard to know which is which. Today I’m taking a closer look at Faber-Castell Gel Crayons and the Recollections Watercolor Crayons in the Color Splash line.
Disclosure: The Faber-Castell Gel Crayons were given to me to review last year. I purchased the Recollections product with my own funds. I make videos for Just Add Imagination (a division of Faber-Castell) but I’m not required to use their products nor am I a spokesperson for them.
So first things first- this will frustrate some of you- especially the non-US folks- because the Recollections Watercolor crayons are only available from Michael’s stores, and as of this writing are not even available online. However, the Faber-Castell Gel Crayons are available internationally.
When I picked up the Recollections Watercrayons, I thought to myself– “WOW THESE LOOK FAMILIAR.” (Yes, sometimes I think in capital letters.) They look EXACTLY like the Faber-Castell Gel Crayons I used last year!! (Click the links to read the individual reviews.)
I felt compelled to try them out side-by-side to see if there was any real difference.
Everything you need to know:
- Pigment load is the same
- Opacity is the same
- Packaging is the same
- Retail cost is the same
- Silver is less pigmented
- Recollections only available at Michael’s Stores (not online yet) in the US.
- Faber-Castell available internationally
- Recollections is SHIMMERY
- Faber-Castell has neon colors
So… if you can find the Recollections, they are a nice option to have- but if not, your Faber-Castell is a comparable product. Next up- more comparisons with Gel Sticks!
I’d love to hear your thoughts- leave me a comment!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018