This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Office Depot, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #inspirestudents http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
My kiddos headed back to school last week and it became clear on the first day that this was going to be a super-busy year. My son is in his last year of middle school and is participating in band, two soccer teams, piano lessons and a wind symphony. Little girl is also taking piano and participating in soccer, and I’m volunteering for the music boosters, Market Day, and am an AFS liaison. And hubby travels. A LOT.
In order to keep all our schedules straight, I decided that we needed a Command Center- a place we could keep our schedules, notes, lists, and important information. And I even had a little nook in mind:
It’s the area right next to the fridge, so I know that everyone will be looking in that general direction in the morning. But obviously, it needed a lot of work.
So FIRST, I went shopping at Office Max.
Side note- this is a guilty pleasure of mine anyway. I love office supply stores and walking up the aisle with all of the markers and pens gives me the happy shivers.
I knew that one of the components had to be color-coding- so that I could easily identify the person, activity, and time!
I wanted to also have a write/on wipe/off calendar- so I made sure I picked up some Expo markers, too.
In the end, I made sure that the markers, pens, and Sharpies all had the same colors.
Now I had to actually create the Command Center space. First, I removed the old switchplates and hardware. There used to be place for a corded phone- but we don’t even have one of those. Modern age, eh?
Next I coated the wall space with 3 coats of chalkboard paint.
Then I got busy with the cork tiles. I cut them with an Xacto knife so that I could nestle them in the lip of the cabinetry.
And guess what? Double sided sticky tape was enough to hold them in place.
I decided to forego a calendar on the wall, and instead put in on the fridge. And I used all of my color-coded Expo markers to write in our schedules!
I put a little caddy on the shelf to hold the markers and pens and some white note cards. Now I can write each member of the family a note in THEIR COLOR. The kids even seem to be less grumbly about their chores when they are written on the note card.
And here you can see where they are on the cork wall. It’s right at their level, too- so I know they won’t miss it!
I like the chalk wall, too- I can add notes for the day, post the snack options or even reminders to do the chores. And I can plug my cell phone in there to charge too!
I’ve been having working on my chalk art/writing skills. Better keep practicing!
And here is the full Command Center with a view of the calendar, chalkboard and cork wall.
Even though there is a glare on the chalk wall, I still think it gives you a great view of the whole area and how FUNCTIONAL it all is now. And it wasn’t expensive for the supplies- about $50!
- Save $5 Off your purchase of $20 or more on select Newell Rubbermaid Brands (PaperMate, Expo Neon Window Markers, Sharpie, Uni-Ball, & Mr. Sketch)
- Weekly savings from (Aug 31-Sept 6): Sharpie Clearview Highlighter 3PK: $4, PaperMate Clearpoint 2PK’s: $3, Select Expo Chisel & Ultra Fine 4PK’s: $2
And if you have Office Depot Rewards you can save even more!
It’s working so well already that I can’t believe I waited this long to transform that dingy little corner.
How do YOU organize your busy schedules? I’d love to hear your family organization tips!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018