Earlier this week I had a twitter exchange with a British Paper-crafting magazine company that sent out a tweet that said something like, “Colouring is so great! It’s Art Therapy and will help you de-stress.”
(Or some such thing, I didn’t keep it.)
Anyway, this got me stewing. Because Art Therapy is NOT coloring. It may be a technique USED by Art Therapists in a practice, but Art Therapy is a recognized profession.
From the American Art Therapy Association:
It’s important know the difference, people.
And to CORRECT folks who are mis-using the term.
So watch this:
As a former Music Therapist, I feel it’s important to treat professions PROFESSIONALLY and give them respect- and yes, coloring is great! It’s FUN! It’s even therapeutic… but it’s NOT Art Therapy.
Thanks for helping me set the record straight and spread the word.
Interested in receiving Art Therapy services or as a career? Find out more here:
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017