Right now colored powder dyes are all the rage- the sheer number of them I’ve reviewed in the past month is pretty astounding. But what if you don’t have the big bucks for those powdered dyes? If you have a dollar, you can have a full set of ten…. if you use Kool-Aid or other powdered drink mixes.
I made you a video, but here’s the skinny:
- use an UNSWEETENED drink mix- it won’t get sticky.
- Snip the corner and sprinkle onto watercolor paper or heavy card stock.
- Mist with water to see the colors come alive!
It’s certainly cheap, and the dyes are food-safe so you don’t have to worry so much about them flying about. And if you get some up your nose, in your mouth, or on your hands…well, YUMMY!
Take a look!
And here’s a better look at those paper samples!
If you still want to invest in an expensive set of powdered dyes- go ahead! They will be more archival and give you brighter and more permanent results. But if you just want a cheap alternative for a kids group, or to play around a bit before you commit to a bigger purchase, this might be fun for you!
Thoughts, crafty friends??
See my related reviews:
- Brusho (affiliate link to purchase)
- Colorburst (affiliate link to purchase)
- Primary Elements (affiliate link to purchase)
- Magical from Lindy’s Stamp Gang (affiliate link to purchase)
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing and Giveaway! - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018