Right now colored powder dyes are all the rage- the sheer number of them I’ve reviewed in the past month is pretty astounding. But what if you don’t have the big bucks for those powdered dyes? If you have a dollar, you can have a full set of ten…. if you use Kool-Aid or other powdered drink mixes.
I made you a video, but here’s the skinny:
- use an UNSWEETENED drink mix- it won’t get sticky.
- Snip the corner and sprinkle onto watercolor paper or heavy card stock.
- Mist with water to see the colors come alive!
It’s certainly cheap, and the dyes are food-safe so you don’t have to worry so much about them flying about. And if you get some up your nose, in your mouth, or on your hands…well, YUMMY!
Take a look!
And here’s a better look at those paper samples!
If you still want to invest in an expensive set of powdered dyes- go ahead! They will be more archival and give you brighter and more permanent results. But if you just want a cheap alternative for a kids group, or to play around a bit before you commit to a bigger purchase, this might be fun for you!
Thoughts, crafty friends??
See my related reviews:
- Brusho (affiliate link to purchase)
- Colorburst (affiliate link to purchase)
- Primary Elements (affiliate link to purchase)
- Magical from Lindy’s Stamp Gang (affiliate link to purchase)
- Thanksgiving Crafts You Can DIY - November 17, 2017
- Crafty Shopping Trip and Haul from Fabric District at Sacre Coeur Basilica, Paris France - November 15, 2017
- Craft Haul and Trip to Liberty of London, UK – October 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Glittered Napkin Card Techniques- Three Ways - October 30, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Blade Rubber in London UK - October 25, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Le BHV in Paris, France - October 20, 2017
- Three Washi Tape Card Ideas - October 19, 2017
- Crafty Travel: Inside John Lewis in London, UK - October 17, 2017
- Alcohol Inks on Acetate- Greeting Cards Three Ways! - September 28, 2017
- Digitizing Your Die Cuts with Cricut Design Space! - September 19, 2017