As a stamper, I use my clear acrylic blocks almost daily. And I try to wipe them down and keep them clear- but then something weird happens over time. They get cloudy!
I wonder why that is? I’m sure there is some chemical explanation. But the cloudiness isn’t just on the surface- it’s actually INSIDE the acrylic block.
I use these blocks as palettes and polymer clay- but lately I’ve been running out of blocks that I can use for stamping. And while they are not super expensive, I hate to spend money to replace things that could be fixed? So I set out to fix them!
I did a little bit of searching, and I found a person that fixed her acrylic cutting pads with heat. I also found a video where a lady made her blocks clear with a heat tool, but mine were WAYYYY worse. So I decided to try it out.
Here’s an edited version of the live periscope that I did demonstrating how to use a heat tool to clear them up!
And VOILA! Clean and clear. There is still some minimal crazing, but my friend Darryl (@Cutterpunk) said that basically you re-anneal the acrylic with heat, which clears up the cloudiness. And if there are still ink smudges, you can use Staz-on Cleaner to take that off.
Not a great pic of me, necessarily, but you can see that the block is clear and restored. It’s not perfect, but I just saved myself a few bucks-and we know that a dollar saved is a dollar earned to go spend on new crafting goodies, right?
I hope you enjoyed this tip- please considering sharing this with your crafty friends or pinning the tip for later. And leave me a comment if you try it!
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017
- Stampin’ Blends from Stamin’ UP Review and Demo - November 21, 2017
- Thanksgiving Crafts You Can DIY - November 17, 2017
- Crafty Shopping Trip and Haul from Fabric District at Sacre Coeur Basilica, Paris France - November 15, 2017
- Craft Haul and Trip to Liberty of London, UK – October 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Glittered Napkin Card Techniques- Three Ways - October 30, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Blade Rubber in London UK - October 25, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Le BHV in Paris, France - October 20, 2017