As a stamper, I use my clear acrylic blocks almost daily. And I try to wipe them down and keep them clear- but then something weird happens over time. They get cloudy!
I wonder why that is? I’m sure there is some chemical explanation. But the cloudiness isn’t just on the surface- it’s actually INSIDE the acrylic block.
I use these blocks as palettes and polymer clay- but lately I’ve been running out of blocks that I can use for stamping. And while they are not super expensive, I hate to spend money to replace things that could be fixed? So I set out to fix them!
I did a little bit of searching, and I found a person that fixed her acrylic cutting pads with heat. I also found a video where a lady made her blocks clear with a heat tool, but mine were WAYYYY worse. So I decided to try it out.
Here’s an edited version of the live periscope that I did demonstrating how to use a heat tool to clear them up!
And VOILA! Clean and clear. There is still some minimal crazing, but my friend Darryl (@Cutterpunk) said that basically you re-anneal the acrylic with heat, which clears up the cloudiness. And if there are still ink smudges, you can use Staz-on Cleaner to take that off.
Not a great pic of me, necessarily, but you can see that the block is clear and restored. It’s not perfect, but I just saved myself a few bucks-and we know that a dollar saved is a dollar earned to go spend on new crafting goodies, right?
I hope you enjoyed this tip- please considering sharing this with your crafty friends or pinning the tip for later. And leave me a comment if you try it!
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing and Giveaway! - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018