Recently I’ve come across some cool things on Pinterest, in which someone shares a photo and pulls out the colors from it- either for inspiration, or to paint their room, or what ever. It usually looks like this:
But I had no idea how to do this myself!
Enter in Chip-It from Sherwin Williams. It’s a online service (free) that enables you to upload a photo or paste in a URL and get color-matched chip ON THE SPOT! POOF- any photo becomes a palette for you to use! (Of course, they give you the colors from their paint line, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t use it to match colors in any craft item you own! )
I tried it first from a photo that I had on my computer. I picked it because there are a lot of colors happening, and not all of them go together. It came up with this:
You can drag and reorder the colors, coming up with both a primary and a secondary palette. I feel like I could use both of them for crafting or jewelry.
Next, I tried a URL. (It happens to be one of my posts.) Once you put in the URL, it will ask you to select a photo from the page. I did and got this:
I definitely like the first row better than the second one. Not sure where that brown came from, but again- you can drag and reorder and use the ones you like.
Now, I you want to keep them, you can log in and save them. (You can log in via FB, too.) Or you an do what I did and just do a screen capture and save it as a .jpg to use later!
Now, I just HAD to do
one a few more. Because I’m not gonna lie, this is fun.
I am so inspired to look at the photos I’ve taken and try them with this tool- it was so much fun and really got me looking more critically at colors. More importantly, it makes me want to print these yummy swatches out to inspire me the next time I’m paper crafting, quilting or jewelry making. Stay tuned, I’ll be sharing my results soon!
Oh, and this is FREE. I was able to install it the CHIP IT bar into my Firefox browser so I now I have it on hand while I’m surfing the web. Looooove that.
I’d love your comments or thoughts- do you need color inspiration? Would you use an app or tool like this to jump-start your creativity?
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017