I’m back today with another craft that I did for the TV show Hands On Crafts for Kids! You can see the original post on that site, but I thought I’d share it here too. This is a fun Hedgehog craft that you can make with the kiddos using burlap and Styrofoam. I think it’s fun to teach them to build their own shapes.
Some links contained in the post are affiliate links.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4” styrofoam ball
- small styro cone
- white glue
- plastic knife
- brown paint
- black paint pen
- burlap ribbon
- chopstick or knitting needle
- Optional- Heat Wire tool. I can use this with my kids aged 10 and up, with some supervision. It’s SO cool for cutting styrofoam- and less mess, too!
Now as I mentioned, this cute Hedgehog craft was on the Hands On Crafts for Kids PBS Show. Here’s the segment for you!
- Using plastic knife, Cut styro ball in half. “sand” one edge against the other to create a rounded tear-drop shape.
- Using plastic knife, cut tip from cone 1 inch from pointed edge. This will be the snout. Using the plastic knife, cut a 1 inch slice from BOTTOM of the cone. Cut this into 4 sections. This will be the feet.
- Using white glue, attach snout and legs to body. Use toothpicks to help secure. Cut off excess with scissors. Let dry.
- Using paintbrush, paint body with brown paint. Let dry.
- Using scissors, cut burlap ribbon into 3 inch squares. Fold in half twice.
- Using chopstick, poke a hole in the back of hedgehog body.
- Dip folded edge of burlap in white glue and poke into the hold. Use chopstick to push it in.
- Repeat until entire back is covered. Let dry.
- Using black paint marker, add eyes and tip of nose.
What other animals could you make with this technique? Leave me a comment and share your ideas with us!
Don’t forget to visit HandsOnCrafts for full episodes each week and more projects than you can shake a stick at!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018