This week I visited the brand new KS Productions Studios to be on-set for the filming of the next season of Scrapbook Soup. I visited back in 2011 to share some tips on crafting as you age, but this time I had THREE segments! All of them where “how-to’s”, each using a die-cut element. But this visit was a whole different experience!
First I’ll show you the projects.
You can see that I use die-cuts for each of my projects. Full tutorials will be coming soon!
The biggest challenge for me was doing all of the “step-outs” necessary. You know, having them prepped and laid out with all of the materials needed to show how to make a book, card, and/or layout in like FIVE MINUTES.
I felt pretty prepared, though, so that when I got to the new studio I just had to lay everything out on a table. I didn’t forget anything- YAY!
The first thing, actually, was to get into make-up. They shoot in HD, and the lights are bright, so you have to use extra-thick makeup. I was worried that my eyebrows looked like caterpillars marching across my forehead-but Juile reassured me that they looked OK on camera.
The new studio was lovely, and the crew was awesome. Everyone was so nice! It was a little different from my work on HSN in that I didn’t have an earpiece with the producer talking in my ear. (They use that to remind you what camera to look at, how much time you have, and/or give you reminders about what to say or what is happening next.) Julie did, though, and she have me little cues to keep me on track.
We got each segment nailed in one take (hooray!) and I felt very comfortable working with Julie on-camera. It’s fun- and actually quite easy- when you have a good rapport with the folks you are working with!
We ended the taping with Julie interviewing me about some of the projects I’ve made. It was like doing a little portfolio review…and I’ll have a little post about that, too, coming soon. But here are the items I brought with me.
Some of the themes? Mixed-media “experiments” tags, and mini books with painted pages.
I’m not sure if those segments will make it onto the show, but I was certainly worthwhile to take a rummage through and look and some older books and art pieces with fresh eyes.
Do you ever do that?
Well, overall is was a fun and affirming day. I was SO honored to be asked and I hope that I gave them some good TV! I’ll keep you updated on when the new series airs!
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017