Last month my family and I traveled to the Capitol to see the sights over spring break. One of my favorite new museums is the Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian.
First off, the building is just amazing. Designed to mimic the red rock bluffs of the American southwest, the undulating curves on the outside are just magical. The interior is reminiscent of a sweat lodge- light and airy, with a round skylight in the roof.
And the WHOLE PLACE is filled with the most amazing decorative arts from a wealth of Native American nations. SO fabulous!
But my focus today is the VW bug that was covered with seed beads in the Huichol tradition.Â First, let me share the brief write-up I found about this, then on to the photos!
The museum welcomes the 1990s Volkswagen Beetle named Vochol Â® (combination of â€œvocho,â€ a popular Mexican term for VW Beetles, and â€œHuicholâ€), decorated by indigenous artisans from the Huichol (Wixaritari) communities of Nayarit and Jalisco, Mexico, using more than 2 million glass beads and fabric. This one-of-a-kind vehicle is presented in collaboration with the Association of Friends of the Museo de Arte Popular and the Museo de Arte Popular in Mexico City, the Embassy of Mexico, and the Mexican Cultural Institute.
The designs are so stunning, the colors so vibrant, the craftsmanship so meticulous! I just HAD to share it with you. And if you don’t get to seeÂ there, it will be on tour internationally before being auctioned off. Read this article for more information!
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018