This is a segment from the kid’s TV show I host, Hands On Crafts for Kids! This is was a super special craft to film, as I got to share it with my daughter Bailey!
We are using the Testors AirBrainz airbrushing kit and recycled formica samples. As you can see, it’s kid-friendly (ages 8 and up) and is a fun way to make BFF backpack charms or key fobs.
Here’s what we used: (affiliate links below)
- Testors AirBrainz airbrushing kit http://amzn.to/2kSRSTu
- Butterfly Stencil: http://amzn.to/2kSLL1Q
- Laminate countertop chip samples from the home improvement store
- Plastic Lacing http://amzn.to/2lhODGs
- Key Rings or Clips
A quick side note on the laminate samples- if you go to a big box home improvement store- like Home Depot or Lowe’s- you can snag a pair and not feel too guilty. However, if you want to do this craft with a vacation bible school, scouting group, or other large group, you can usually ask the department manager and they will give you a whole STACK of samples! The colors change out frequently, and the companies send a whole new batch- meaning that the discontinued color chips are just thrown away. You can also ask Kitchen/bath remodeling stores to save them for you. Usually they are happy to pass them along and save them from a landfill.
The video segment is about 7 minutes long and gives you each step!
(Have I mentioned yet how proud I am of my girl? And how thrilled I was to be able to share my job with her? It’s like my version of “Take Your Daughter To Work Day.”)
And if you missed that plastic lacing demo, here’s another great visual to help you.
So as I mentioned above, this a fun craft for a rainy day, (or snow day), or for birthday parties, sleepovers, or even VBS. You could have any stencil you like, as long as it makes sense when you put the two parts back together. But then again, there is no rule saying that you could make one with THREE segments or more! Maybe even 5 or 6 for a whole team? Get creative with it!
I hope you enjoyed this idea and make it your own!
By they way, you can see entire episodes for FREE online (which is especially handy if they don’t show it on your local PBS station.)
http://www.craftsforkids.com/ Or better yet, contact your local staion and request it!
- Cricut Maker Unboxing, Set Up & First Project Review - September 12, 2017
- Tim Holtz/ Tonic Stamping Platform Review - September 5, 2017
- TouchFive Markers Review and Demo - September 1, 2017
- Marbling Medium from Martha Stewart Crafts - August 29, 2017
- Kit XChange Organization System - August 25, 2017
- NYC Craft Shopping and Haul (plus some chit-chat) - August 15, 2017
- DIY Quilled Paper Flower Embellishments - August 11, 2017
- Nine Easy Gel Printing Techniques for Beginners! - August 2, 2017
- Tuesday Morning Craft Haul- July 2017 - July 27, 2017
- Review and Demo of Sign Brush Felt Tip Markers from Pentel Arts - July 22, 2017