Crafting is cool, fun, challenging, and occasionally frustrating. Craft Test Dummies is my forum to test out new products, test techniques, report on up-and-coming craftsters/websites and apps, all while giving y’all the straight poop. It’s my goal to help you learn new things about your favorite craft, turn you on to new ones, and inspire your crafting while armed with as much knowledge as you need to be successful and have fun!
I’m Jenny Barnett Rohrs – a self-taught craftista, working in clay, fiber, and jewelry mediums. I believe that creativity is innate, and that when you tell your inner critic to just shut up already you can have a lot of fun and learn something about yourself. I especially love to encourage folks to try new things, new techniques, and push their own boundaries.
I have conducted art workshops and classes for the Artist’s Way Retreat in Lakeside, Ohio; for Northcoast Needlers Quilt Guild on Rocky River, OH; and for at Stamplistic in Amherst, OH in a polymer clay, paper crafts, bookmaking, and jewelry/mixed media techniques. Currently I have an active teaching schedule at Grand River Beads in Rocky River and for the Independence Art Guild in Independence, OH.
On the professional side, I’m a social media consultant specializing in the craft industry, but I also help small businesses, too. I set up/manage design teams, blogs, Facebook and Twitter accounts in order to help my clients reach and have meaningful conversations with their audience.
I also have stage/screen experience and have appeared on infomercials and industrial training films. I spent some time being a professional demonstrator for ProvoCraft. Need a spokesperson or a booth bunny? Yeah, I have done that, too!
I am also a wife, mom of 2 little ones, and was a music therapist by trade. I find lots of inspiration for crafting in the music that moves me. Sometimes I sell some of my crafty goodies on Etsy, and sell logowear on CafePress.com.
If you have questions, comments, or would like me to conduct a workshop for your group, you can contact me at crafttherapy-at-gmail.com. I hope you enjoy the site & look forward to your feedback!
Bring Jenny to Your Group
Looking for a cool program for your art guild, women’s club, or scout troop? Well, Jenny the head Craft Test Dummy can bring the creativity to you.
1-2 HOUR ADULT PROGRAMS:
- Faux Dichro Glass – Using recycled beach glass and some unexpected elements, make a stunning faux-dichro piece. Participants will leave with 2-5 pieces, but they will need to take them home to dry. Pin backs and/or magnets will be provided for finishing.
- Paper Bead Earrings - The kid’s craft has grown up! We’ll make stunning origami paper beads, paired with Swarovski crystal beads to make beautiful earrings you can wear home. (A two-hour version is available to transform them into faux-lampwork beads, as well.)
- Poly Clay Pendants- Jenny will bring the polymer clay studio to you! We’ll use stamps, mica powders, and shapecutters to make lovely pendants or pins. 1 1/2 hours for class, plus 1/2 hour for curing.
- Polymer Name Tags- if your group wears name tags, this is a fun and functional activity! We’ll make custom name tags from clay and embellish them into a work of art. 1 1/2 hours for class, plus 1/2 hour for curing.
2-3-HOUR ADULT WORKSHOPS:
- Polymer Clay Art Doll Pins: Learn to build your own art doll pin, customizing it to reflect your inner life. 3 hours.
- Passion Books: Explore your passions and let your creativity shine! We’ll start with some watercolor painting, and then transform the paper into a “Passion Book” for journaling, scrapbooking, or writing down your little secrets. (Shhhh.We won’t tell!)
- Polymer Clay Covered Tins: transform that candy or gum tin into a little treasure box! Great to keep items in your purse, make mini-book, or use as a gift tin.
- Altered Books 101: You bring the book, Jenny brings the creativity. We’ll have a crash-course in painting, collaging, and assembling your own piece of art -enough to get your started, and hooked!
- ATCs (Artist Trading Cards): Learn to make these mini works of art out of stamps, collage papers, and bits of ephemera. These are fun and addicting- and great to swap!
- Rhythm Egg Shakers: ages 3-10. We’ll make fun egg shakers, explore sounds and rhythms, and share some fun songs. 2 hours.
- Clay Treasure Tins: ages 7 and up. Polymer clay covered tins to keep your special secrets in! 2 hours.
- Shrink Charm Bracelets: ages 7 and up. We’ll make a series of charms to make into a bracelet or anklet, or zipper pulls for boys. 2 hours.
- Personalized Polymer Pendants: ages 5 and up. We’ll make initial pendants, embellish with powders, and then string it up into a necklace that boys and girls alike will love to wear. 2 hours.
Please contact Jenny for information regarding fee, materials, and availability.