Apparently Facebook can be real stinkers, and they don’t want you to be giving things away to YOUR friends and/or YOUR fans through THEIR site. (Um, huh?)
For example: (And this is directly from the Promotions Guidelines page)
- You cannot: Condition entry in the promotion upon a user providing content on Facebook, such as making a post on a profile or Page, status comment or photo upload.
- You can: Use a third party application to condition entry to the promotion upon a user providing content. For example, you may administer a photo contest whereby a user uploads a photo through a third-party application to enter the contest.
- You cannot: Administer a promotion that users automatically enter by becoming a fan of your Page.
- You can: Only allow fans of your Page to access the tab that contains the third-party application for the promotion.
- You cannot: Notify winners through Facebook, such as through Facebook messages, chat, or posts on profiles or Pages.
- You can: Collect an address or email through the third-party application for the promotion in order to contact the winner by email or standard mail.
- You cannot: Instruct people (in the rules or elsewhere) to sign up for a Facebook account before they enter the promotion.
- You can: Instruct users to visit the third-party application to enter the promotion (as described in Section 3.4(i)). Since users must have a Facebook account in order to access an application on the Facebook Platform, if you give this instruction, they will be prompted to sign up for a Facebook account if they do not already have one.
Oh, really? So I can’t ask a fan to leave a comment to enter to win a giveaway present from ME, but I can install applications, request permission from your Gestapo, and collect e-mails. Oh.
So in other words, things that benefit FB is OK, but things that are fun/easy for the user are NOT. Oh. Okay.
Well, now that I’ve had my diatribe, I’ll tell you that 19 of my fans left a comment…and Random.org selected # 14, and that makes Jennifer R. my “winner” of my “un-giveaway.”
(Jennifer, don’t worry- I’m still sending you out a big pack o’ Tulip/Plaid fashion goodies! )
So, until further notice, we’ll be doing our giveaways RIGHT HERE…and in the meanwhile, thank you for being aÂ Facebook Friend, anyway!
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017