When I first saw this product at CHA last year, my question was “what IS it?” Is it an enamel? Is it a paint? Is it an embossing medium? The answer is sorta-kinda-YES to all of them. 3D Enamel Gels from Piccolo Globecrafts is a liquid, air-dry plastic paint that gives the look, opacity, and feel of glass enamel!
Here’s how it’s described on the website:
Now let’s take a closer look:
After you twist off the cap, remove the paper, and snip the tip off of the applicator tip, you are ready to roll.
I found that it went on opaque and for the most part also dried opaque. There is a little “milkiness” that goes away after it dries.
There was no discernible odor and was very easy to use. There were slight doming properties, but the consistency of 3D Enamel Gel is more fluid than, say, a pearl pen or the like. Think thick honey.
Let me show you a swatch of some of the colors I had to test. You will see that you can also apply them more thinly and you will get a more translucent effect.
These samples are dry, and you can see that there is a little “sinking” when the water evaporates, but it still maintains a lovely glossy shine.
Of course, some things are easier shown in a video. So here it is!
As I mentioned in the video, there was no lifting on the chipboard pieces, but the wide flat metal piece was easy to scratch. So make sure you seal it with resin if it’s going to be used or handled routinely.
Bottom line- I can see using this on chipboard, acrylics, and even metals for faux-enameling jewelry. And paired with the Piccolo Intsant Curing UV Resin, the shine and effect would be hard to tell apart from real cloisonne or enamel work.
Wouldn’t this be a cool way to customize some old metal necklaces or bangles? I’m going to hunt through my junk jewelry drawer and see what I can come up with!
As for availability and pricing, right now it’s on the GlobecraftMemories website- I would inquire with them if you are wondering what stores it might be in.
I’d love to hear how you would use this product- weigh in in the comments section below.
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing and Giveaway! - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018