So, after all my posts on Fondant, Frosting Sheets, Bologna and Cheese, are you wondering how the Cricut Cake cut tortillas and fruit roll type snacks? Well, so was I…so the experimentation continues!
As you might have noticed yesterday, there was a fruit roll up snack on the cutting mat:
Well, yes, this was my first attempt. Against my better judgment, I tried to cut the fruit roll on the same mat that was greased with Crisco. I had a feeling that the sticky fruit roll and the greasy Crisco weren’t a match, and boy was I right!
However, today I tried again. But this time, I DID NOT grease the mat at all- instead, I just lightly misted the “smooth” side of the fruit roll with water, then froze it on the mat for about 10 minutes. Here’s what I got:
So, next I went back to the greased sheet for the tortillas. Again, I froze the mat for 10 minutes. I have to tell you, I got spotty results with this one:
I had a hard time with tortillas- unless they were really well frozen- like 20 minutes or more- they had a tendency to bunch up. So I ended up with about a 50% success rate.
And that brings us to another problem-Â ROUND tortillas (and bologna, too for that matter)– there is just SO MUCH WASTE. I mean, tortillas aren’t terribly expensive, but still. Obviously, buy the biggest ones you can get, and try to make the most of them. Nonetheless, the shapes are cute, and you can make little cinnamon-tortilla-crisps with them:
Overall, the Cricut Cake isÂ fine with tortillas and fruit roll-ups. BUT, considering how much waste there is, it’s gonna take a REALLY special person (and a rather small party) for me to make snacks from these materials!
OK, kiddos! I think I might have one or two more posts in me on the Cricut Cake, and then I’m having a giveaway for a cool chef’s hat. Stay tuned!!!
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017